Thursday, January 8, 2009

The Second Question

I wanted to address Dave A's second question to me about "heavier" molecules in biodiesel emissions. The theory here is that some molecules in biodiesel emissions are more dense, causing them to linger lower in the atmosphere, and therefore creep into our lungs more easily.

Truthfully, I don't know. I haven't yet seen a study that talks about 'heavy' molecule emissions from Biodiesel, but I had heard the theory once before in connection with SVO (Straight Vegetable Oil), which is another alternative fuel. Many people have SVO and Biodiesel confused. Oil (soybean, algael, jatropha or rapeseed for a few examples of the vegetable type, or animal fat-derived, even human fat-derived) is a component of Biodiesel. But in order to make Bio, you have to put the oil and a few other solutions through processes which together consistute transesterification. That's the term for separating the glycerin in the oil/fat from the substances that you've bound in a chemical reaction to create biodiesel through lots of mixing, settling, etc. You can read about how it's done on several websites, but again I will provide the National Biodiesel Board's Basics sheet for reference. If you followed my bad writing above, you might infer that glycerin is a by-product of Biodiesel processing. That's correct. You can make lots of lovely soaps out of that ('Which would probably make excellent inexpensive gifts, wrapped in a hand knit wash rag!' pipes up the Martha Stewart within).

I will certainly look into it more. The idea of a "heavier" molecule does ruffle the few chemistry tailfeathers I possess. It seems like if you changed the 'weight' of a molecule, you'd necessarily be changing the compound itself....?? Scientists? Anything?

--Nellamity, who never actually took chemistry

3 comments:

  1. Reading this post reminded me that I should mention - I was a fan of your Refined gOil blog at Energy Rush back in the day. Both your posts and those video blogs were great, so it's great to see you around again here.

    Speaking of which, I remember at some point you posting that your parents were letting you install solar power on their house, or something to that effect. I've been trying to get my mother to consider, at least, doing the same with hers- I was wondering about how successful it was ultimately. Have they kept up with it? What's the prognosis?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I am flattered that you followed Refined gOil, thank you!

    Yes, we DID install the units. I filmed the action in HD, and I just heard recently that the Energyrush guys are editing it together. I cut some of it on my own, very roughly right after the installation, and you can see that footage here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bh42cmToag

    It's a big investment, no lie. But California offers an incentive program, and they knocked about 10gs off our final price. Try googling your mother's state plus 'solar incentive program.' As you probably know, when you install solar panels and remain attached to electrical grid, during the day you are making all your own power (if you decide to install enough panels to meet your average daily energy needs, which is calculated by looking at your bill history). If you accrue a surplus of electricity during the day at any point, that gets counted towards your night use/use when the panels aren't generating power. At that time, you switch back over to the grid, and the grid is supplying your energy -- but you might not be paying for it, if you have a big enough surplus. Some report a "net loss" -- which means you still pay a tiny bill at the end of each month, but it comes out to a fraction of what you'd be paying if you weren't generating most of your own power.
    The other possibility is going off grid all together, which requires the storage of the electricity that your panels generate in big batteries. In the event that you can't get enough (if you live in a cloudy area, etc.), it's handy to have a back up generator to supply your power. And generators can be run on Biodiesel (this is my plan for when I eventually move off-grid).
    My favorite moment in The Royal Tenenbaums is when Royal accosts Etheline on the street and lies, saying he has cancer. She just breaks down and sort of hiccups "WHAT'S THE PROGNOSIS??!?"
    --Nell

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic (dare I say epic) video. Looks like it was definitely a positive experience for your family, and I'm so glad it worked out. Thank you so much for sharing that with me - I can't wait to see the rest of the footage once it's edited it. And can I just say, as a film student? That video was incredibly well done. (Love the music!)

    And thanks so much for sharing all of that information with me. That, plus the video, will be enormously helpful in swaying my mom the right way.

    You know what's sad? When I ended my comment to you with "what's the prognosis?" I was actually hearing Anjelica Huston in my head as I typed. Go figure that. Great minds, etc.

    Lastly, I just glanced at your profile, and I have to say - your love for "My Best Fiend" makes me so happy. Werner Herzog and Klaus Kinski? Brilliance!

    ReplyDelete