Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Parents in Town

As much as the world changes, I hope that one thing remains constant:

Some parents seem to like treating their adult children to fine wines, delicious food and movies.  Of course every family enjoys different pastimes, but I think that parents find solace and comfort in seeing their progeny indulge in the same pleasures with the same zest -- it reaffirms our feeling of unity as a family.  And it often leads to some bickering which is remembered with humor the next day.

My mom and stepdad are in town, and they have been taking me out for the best of times.  I have been under the influence of wine by no later than 5:30 for the last three days, and I think that this is a civilized custom that should be practiced more.  

We discuss evolution, Gaza, knitting, entertainment...it's refreshing, and I feel so lucky that we find ourselves aligned on many of these issues.  

Olbermann on now.  

-Nellamity

2 comments:

  1. Nell,

    Your parents certainly sound like good people to me, especially considering that midday wine is involved in their visits. And you're right to feel lucky - so many of us aren't fortunate enough to get along so well with our parents. I'm grateful that I have a good relationship with at least one of mine.

    In response to your comment, you should definitely check out more of "Ab Fab." It's probably the best Britcom out there. And all the others I mentioned are so worth checking out ("As Time Goes By" stars the incomparable Judi Dench), and if you're not careful, you can spend all night watching French & Saunders clips on YouTube.

    -Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I hope you asked your mother to bring along that plastic bag tote you were telling us about. I'd love to see how that actually turned out!

    ReplyDelete