Friday, January 30, 2009

Purse Thing, You Make My Hook Sing


So, this was the effort of the morning and early afternoon. The poor dogs STILL haven't been exercised, because when I am struck with a small project like this, I can't seem to tear myself away. 'Just another half an hour!' I say to them. They will be rewarded for their patience with a long late-afternoon walk.

Copy-catting my mom, it's made all from plastic shopping bags, although I crocheted mine as you'll see in these pictures. If I'd had the self control, it would have been a little bit longer (the bag part itself) to accommodate a proper book. But it will comfortably hold a cell phone, a wallet and keys as is.


In process...you can see where I've added new strands of plastic...and folding into bag-shape.



And here, doing the edging in a yellow shopping bag that came from New York. And making the button.

If anyone is interested in directions, let me know. It was fun to just make up as I went along. And I think that if done in all one color, like the light taupey brown, it would look like an organic material. I'm realizing there isn't a good picture of the strap -- it's just a long strip of 3 single crochet over and over again. Crocheting was much easier for me than knitting with this material. Also, regular shopping bags move relatively quickly over the hook, whereas the high-gloss pretty-colored strips take longer because they're...stickier.

I'm off to give the dogs their due!

--Nellamity

2 comments:

  1. That's fantastic, Nell. I'm kind of mesmerized by it, as are my roommates (because they live their lives looking over my shoulder, clearly). Their response: "PLASTIC BAGS? REALLY?"

    And they're not easily impressed, so kudos!

    I'd love to have directions, if only to give to my aunt, who could do justice to something I absolutely could not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, that looks amazing, and sounds like you put a lot of hard work in to it.

    Mel.

    PS. In case you didn't catch my response to your comment on my last post, I think I've fixed the "follow" problem. :)

    ReplyDelete