Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The Knitting Corner















...yes, here it is. It's a deeply unorganized space. But it serves.

For me, knitting is many things. But the deepest point of my connection to it touches some self-sufficiency/survival instinct lingering in my genes. One of the most fundamental human instincts -- besides providing ourselves with food -- is keeping ourselves and our loved ones warm and protected, which a handknit garment usually accomplishes beautifully. When I knit, I drop off into imaginative reveries. I won't bore you with the content of those. Suffice it to say, it's an ancient tradition, and I find it very therapeutic.

The garment on the pink chair is a from-the-top-down vest based on Barbara Walker's method for a sleeveless sweater in Knitting from the Top. I love knitting in this way -- in fact, I rarely work from the bottom up anymore. Whenever I fall in love with a conventionally-knit pattern, I always find myself thinking how I'd do it from the top. You can try the garment on as you're working (yes, you really can!) to be sure of a perfect fit, which is important for me, because I often don't look well in normal patterns. Also, if you're making something for somebody else, you can break into their home, steal their favorite t-shirt or sweater and copy the proportions exactly. You can do that with bottom-up styles, too, I just think top down is more fun, damn it.

Pictures to follow when it's completed.

Also, I began a knitted hemp bag today -- usually I don't knit bags, because I am too rough with them. I know I would slam one in the car door or step on it or mutilate it in some other way, and when you knit something and then have to see it destroyed...it's a recipe for a broken heart. But hemp is SO so strong, and I had some of it sitting around. I am forcing myself to write it down as I go (which I always give up on halfway through any creation), so the pattern and pictures will be up hopefully within a few days.

Let me know if you knit with cool stuff -- my mom does it with old plastic bags (it makes a terrifically strong fabric, but is hard on the hands as you're working). I thought I'd try something with old t-shirts...cutting them up spiral-wise into long strips, and knitting with those. I'd like to branch out from always shopping for yarn. Until I can get my hands on a living sheep or an alpaca, I vow to quest for recycled, nouveau (cheap) yarnstuffs.

--Nellamity

3 comments:

  1. I had never heard of anyone knitting with plastic bags, so I looked it up after you mentioned it, and found this (among other things): http://blog.craftzine.com/archive/2007/08/plastic_bag_crafts.html

    I had no idea it was so versatile. But I imagine it's really difficult to work with, especially making some of the elaborate items on that site. Has your mom made anything like those in the link? How hard was it to do?


    -Erin Sorkin/Six Kimonos

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plastic bags? I've never even heard of that.

    My mother just recently started knitting, but she just uses...regular knitting stuff. Hah, this shows how much I know about knitting. I'm interested to hear how the hemp bag turns out though. Hemp is amazingly strong; I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know, plastic bags sounds weird but they actually look pretty cool. I'll get my mom to bring her bag up when she comes to visit, and I'll photograph it for the blog. Lots of people look at it, and can't tell what the material is...it's so unique. Hope your mom's enjoying the knitting. I'll keep you posted about the hemp.
    --Nell

    ReplyDelete