Sunday, January 11, 2009

The Moon in the Middle of January

In the first act of Our Town, Emily says to George 

"I can't work at all.  The moonlight's so terrible."

Tonight is that night of the month.  It keeps coming in at the windows, and the dogs are restless.  It started at sun down, and because there was smoke from controlled burns still hanging in the sky everything was pastels.  Coming back from Jacksonville, 5:11, on South Stage Road, you round a corner, and in front of you are the striped hills of a vineyard.  Mount McLaughlin sits just above and to the right, and then there's that moon, just glowing softly, and so big it hardly looks real.

Now at nearly 4 it has pulled itself higher, and it's flooding over the valley, getting into every little cranny, making it seem like I've let a flood light on in the driveway.   

1 comment:

  1. Now I need to dig out my copy of "Our Town." My love for it knows no bounds.

    That sounds absolutely stunning. I'm a wee bit jealous. In Chicago we're lucky if we can catch the moon over the Sears Tower on a good night.


    Oh, there's a comment for you left on my blog, in response to the one you made. It's pretty saddening that we don't get email notifications when we're responded to on other blogs. Blergh.

    ReplyDelete